Moving Planner Checklist for a Well-Prepared Move
7 to 8 Weeks Before Move Day
- Tour your home and decide which items, if any, are not going to be moved. If you decide to discard some items, look into the items being sold, donated or thrown out.
- Contact moving companies and obtain moving estimates for your move. Be sure to discuss storage should it be required and packing options. Two or three estimates from different moving companies seem to be about the average.
- Decide if you will do the packing yourself or if you would like the mover to do the packing.
- Select a moving company for your move and book a move date.
- Create a “move file” for all documents relating to your move. Move estimates, move planners, checklists, contracts, insurance information, rental agreements, etc.
6 Weeks Before Move Day
Arrange for the disposal of unwanted items by:
SALE: moving sale, garage sale, auction, online selling
DONATE: arrange for the charity to pick up for donations
JUNK REMOVAL: for items that cannot be donated or sold.
- If you are packing your household yourself, arrange for boxes and packing materials. Moving Industry Standard Boxes should be used. Proper moving boxes can be purchased from 1st Choice Moving or a number of retail packaging supply stores or big box stores. Avoid liquor store and grocery store boxes.
- For packing help please refer to:
- Essential Packing Tips
- Box Sizes and Uses
- Packing Fragile Items
- There are items that movers are not permitted to transport. Please refer to the Non-Allowable Items List and print a copy to be sure no prohibited items are included in your move.
- Start packing if you are packing yourself. Household packing can be much more time consuming than one would expect and packing must be completed by move day.. Begin packing non-essential areas such as storage room, sheds, garage, and all outdoor items.
4 Weeks Before Move Day
- Arrange move-in details at your new home and confirm the date and time.
- If elevator use is involved for your move at your present home and your new home, schedule elevator access with the building management.
- Be sure your packing is well underway and on track. Be sure to label all boxes on the top and on the side as to the room it belongs in and the contents of the box.
- Plan to use up all or most of your supply of frozen foods prior to move day.
Sent a Change of Address Notice to:
___Mail Order Accounts
___Human Resources Canada
___Customer Loyalty Programs
___Provincial Social Services
Made Arrangements to Disconnect and Connect:
- Book your house cleaner.
- Book your carpet cleaner.
- Arrange for the care of young children for the busy moving day. Suggestions are with family members, relatives, or childcare.
- Arrange for the care of your pets for the busy moving day. Suggestions are pet care, pet sitter, or safely confining them in an empty room.
- Try to use up your aerosols, flammables, and cleaning products before move day to lessen your packing load. The unused items can be packed snugly in an open box and we can place it in your vehicle on move day.
2 Weeks Before Move Day
- Prepare a floor plan for your new home for the placement of your furniture. On your floor plan be sure to name each room.
- Move outdoor plants undercover. Try to avoid overwatering your plants.
- Be sure most of your packing is complete.
The Week Before Move Day
- Finish Packing
- If you are giving away plants, do so now.
- Drain gasoline from the lawnmower, snow blower, and other fuel-powered equipment
- Drain garden hoses and couple the two ends together.
- Set aside medications and other personal items you will move.
- If freezers and refrigerators are being moved, defrost, clean and dry at least 48 hours before move day.
- Wash and dry all laundry
- Plan your meals and buy only essential groceries so you do not have extra food packing to do on top of everything else.
- Put together a supply box. Put together a box of things you will want to have on hand as soon as you arrive at your new home such as paper plates, paper cups, box of plastic utensils, snacks, water, can opener, coffee maker & coffee, paper towels, disinfecting wipes, towels, toilet paper, flashlight, light bulbs, first aid kit, multi-bit screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench, etc
- Label this box “Supplies – Open First,” and ask the movers to load it last so it will come off the moving truck first at your new home.
- Confirm your house cleaner
- Confirm your carpet cleaner
The Day Before Move Day
Have service contact numbers readily available such as a realtor, mover, building manager, carpet cleaner, house cleaner, childminder, pet sitter, etc.
Pack personal items to be taken with you and label the box “Do Not Move.”
Be sure any items which are not moving have a “Do Not Move” label.
Confirm your packing is complete. Especially check the easier to overlook areas such as cabinets, drawers, closets, storage compartments, etc.
Confirm all boxes are sealed and labeled.
Leave a note with your name, phone number, and new address for the new occupants in case mail for you arrives.
Make yourself an essentials box of water, snacks, medications toiletries to keep with you on move day
- If there is snow or ice on the paths the movers must use, please clear the paths and use salt if necessary.
- Remove linens from beds and pack, along with any towels left.
- Meet the movers at your home and show them around.
- Be available to answer the mover’s questions.
- After your household goods have been loaded, make a final check of your entire home to be sure all items have been loaded and confirm with the van foreman.
- Confirm delivery address and contact phone number with the mover van foreman before the movers leave your residence.
- Read and record all meter readings: natural gas, electricity, water
- Adjust furnace, turn off lights, lock windows and lock doors.
- Leave keys at the agreed-upon location for the new occupants.
- Receive the moving van at your new home, show the movers your floor plan, and guide correct placement of furniture and boxes in accordance with your plan
- Be available to answer the mover’s questions